If you’re a fan of Starbucks, you’ve likely tried their seasonal Chestnut Praline Latte. Available only in the winter, this delectable drink is a blend of espresso, steamed milk, and a sweet chestnut praline syrup.
The first time I tried a Chestnut Praline latte, I was instantly taken by it’s rich flavor. I knew I’d be coming back for more. I also knew that because of it’s seasonality, I’d have to figure how to a Chestnut Praline Latte at home.
Yes, I wanted to be able to experience the nuttiness year-round.
If you can get your hands on some of Starbucks’ Chestnut Praline Syrup, by all means use it. It’ll certainly make your life simpler. Simply concoct a regular latte, add in your syrup, and Voila!
But that’s the easy way out.
This is a real deal Chestnut Praline Latte recipe – homemade syrup and all.
Yes, with just a few simple ingredients, you can recreate this Starbucks favorite in the comfort of your own kitchen. Not only will you save money by making it yourself, but you can also customize it to your liking.
So, grab your favorite mug and let’s do this.
Chestnut Praline Latte Ingredients
Before you start making your own homemade Starbucks Chestnut Praline Latte (syrup and all), you will need to gather a few ingredients. Here is a breakdown of everything you will need:
|Sugar||1 cup granulated, 1/4 cup brown|
|Water||1 1/4 cups|
|Vanilla extract||1 tablespoon|
|Pecans||1/2 cup, shelled|
|Espresso||2 shots, or 1 cup strong coffee|
|Milk||2% milk, as needed|
It’s best to use fresh chestnuts for the syrup. If you can’t find fresh chestnuts at your local supermarket, you can use pre-packaged chestnuts, but make sure they are unsweetened and unflavored. These Organic Whole Peeled and Roasted Chestnuts are a good choice.
Once you’ve gathered all of your ingredients, you are ready to start making your own Starbucks Chestnut Praline Latte.
Making your own Chestnut Praline Latte is easy. You’ll spend most of your time and energy on the syrup. Here is a breakdown of the process:
Chestnut Praline Syrup
You’ll want to make your syrup first. This is the key to the finished product. Just follow these steps to make your own delicious Chestnut Praline syrup:
- Preheat your oven to 350F or 175C.
- Sprinkle chestnuts and pecans onto a non-stick baking sheet. HINT: If you break up the chestnuts into halves or quarters they will toast better.
- Roast chestnuts and pecans for until fragrant (around 10 minutes). Make sure the nuts don’t burn!
- Once roasted, roughly chop the nuts and add them to a saucepan. Add dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, and water.
- Bring everything to a boil. stirring often to make sure the sugar dissolves and doesn’t burn. Lower the heat and simmer the syrup for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Take the syrup off the heat, add vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Stir and allow the syrup to cool for 10 minutes before straining and transferring it into a jar.
- Let the syrup cool completely before closing with a lid and storing in the fridge.
Praline Crumble Topping:
Order a Chestnut Praline Latte at Starbucks and they usually finish it off with whipped cream and a sprinkling of praline bits. This is optional, of course, but it does add a nice little crunch.
But once again, that’s the easy way out!
You can also make your own praline crumble from scratch, using this simple recipe:
- In a saucepan, dissolve 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water together.
- Toss about 1/2 cup of shelled pecans in the saucepan and coat.
- Remove the pecans from the saucepan and place them on a foil-lined, greased, non-stick baking sheet in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes, or until the liquid hardens.
- Add the pecans and 1/4 cup of brown sugar to a cleaned food processor and pulse. Set aside.
Chestnut Praline Latte: Putting it all Together
- Make the Chestnut Praline Syrup. Set aside.
- Brew Espresso: Brew a double shot of espresso and set it aside. (Yes, you can brew an additional shot or two for an extra kick.)
- Steam Milk: Steam the milk using a milk frother or a saucepan on medium heat until it reaches the desired temperature and consistency. NOTE: Milk is sweetest from 135 – 150 degrees (Fahrenheit).
- Combine: Add 2-3 tablespoons of your homemade Chestnut Praline syrup to your favorite coffee cup or mug. Add the espresso and stir. Then pour in the steamed milk.
- Add Toppings: Top with whipped cream and then the praline crumble topping.
- Enjoy: Sip and enjoy your homemade Chestnut Praline Latte!
With these simple steps, you can make your own Starbucks Chestnut Praline Latte at home and enjoy those rich and nutty holiday flavors any time of the year.
P.S. Need a way to make espresso at home? Check out these affordable espresso makers.
Tips and Variations
If you want to make the perfect chestnut praline latte at home, here are some tips and variations to keep in mind:
- Use high-quality ingredients: For the most delicious chestnut praline latte, use high-quality ingredients. Invest in good quality coffee beans. Make your own syrup.
- Adjust the sweetness: The sweetness of your latte is a matter of personal preference. You can adjust the amount of syrup you use to make your latte sweeter or less sweet.
- Experiment with milk alternatives: If you’re lactose intolerant or vegan, you can use a milk alternative like almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk instead of whole milk. Keep in mind that different types of milk alternatives will affect the taste and texture of the latte.
- Try different toppings: Play around with your praline crumble. Try adding some cinnamon or a pinch of nutmeg.
Here are some additional tips and variations to consider:
|– Use freshly ground coffee beans for the best flavor||– Add a shot of caramel syrup (or some homemade caramel) for a caramel chestnut praline latte|
|– Froth the milk to create a creamy texture||– Use hazelnut syrup instead of praline syrup for a hazelnut latte|
|– Serve the latte hot or cold, depending on your preference||– Add a pinch of sea salt for a salty-sweet flavor|
Making the perfect chestnut praline latte takes some practice and experimentation. Don’t be afraid to try different variations and adjust the recipe to tantalize your specific taste. With some patience and creativity, you can blow Starbucks out of the water.
The Final Scoop
Ultimately, making your own Starbucks Chestnut Praline Latte at home is easier than most people think. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic tools, you can enjoy this delicious holiday drink anytime.
Start by making your praline syrup using a combination of brown sugar, granulated sugar, water, and chopped pecans and chestnuts. Once the syrup is ready, you can start putting it all together.
If you don’t have an espresso machine or fancy milk frother, don’t worry. You can still make a great Chestnut Praline Latte using a simple French press or a handheld milk frother.
Experiment with different milk alternatives such as almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk to find the perfect combination that suits your taste buds. You can also adjust the sweetness level by adding more or less of the praline syrup.
You’ll find that making your own Starbucks Chestnut Praline Latte at home is actually a fun and easy way to enjoy a popular holiday drink without having to leave your house (you don’t even have to put on pants).
So, grab your favorite mug, find your nuts, and get this party started!