In a French press, the brewing process relies on immersion – or where coffee grounds get steeped in hot water. Using coarse ground coffee is ideal. In the post, you’ll get the scoop on some of the best coarse ground coffee for French press brewing.
Brewing with a French press is different than brewing with paper filters. The mesh filter in a French press coffee maker allows water to interact with coffee over an extended period. If you’re a true coffee lover, you probably know that getting the right grind size is critical, and it can make all the difference in both aroma and flavor.
With so many coffee brands available, finding a high-quality coffee can be overwhelming. Thankfully, we’re here to help. If you’re looking for a list of the best coarse ground coffee for French press brewing, look no further.
5 Coarse Ground Coffee Brands for Phenomenal French Press Brewing
Let’s dive straight into our top picks. We’ve chosen the following brands based on their exceptional quality and unique flavors. Nevertheless, we didn’t overlook their suitability for the French press brewing method.
Whether you’re a fan of robust profiles or prefer something smoother, this list is for you. Our curated selection caters to diverse preferences.
Here are five of the best coarse ground coffee for French press.
- DARK ROAST, GROUND: Rich, dark chocolate, decadent. From the heart of the mountains, a strong spirit roars. The most magical hand mother nature can deal
- TASTING NOTES, BREW METHOD: Rich, dark chocolate, cacao nibs, brown sugar and roasted hazelnuts. Recommended methods: drip machine, pour over and cold brew
- ORIGIN CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA: Grown in a socially and environmentally responsible way, by farmers with sustainable businesses they can depend on
Kicking Horse Coffee is a Canadian brand. The “Grizzly Claw” blend embodies the company’s commitment to organic, fair trade beans. Known for its robust flavor profile, this blend often features bold, chocolaty, and nutty notes. As such, it’s a favorite among fans of strong coffee.
In general, Kicking Horse’s dedication to sustainability shines through their packaging. Ideal for French press enthusiasts, Grizzly Claw promises a rich and satisfying brew. In return, it reflects the company’s passion for delivering high-quality, adventurous coffees.
- Bold flavors, delivering a satisfying coffee experience
- Sourced from organic and fair trade beans, ensuring ethical and sustainable practices
- Recognizable packaging, aligning with their dynamic and adventurous brand image
- Coarse ground and full-bodied, making it perfect for French press brewing
- The product availability may vary depending on the location
- Higher price point compared to some mainstream options as a premium brand
- Contains one (1) 18 Ounce Bag of Peet’s Major Dickason’s Blend Ground 100% Arabica Coffee
- Flavor and Roast: Dark Roast. Flavorful, robust, full-bodied. Developed by Mr. Peet and his most discerning customer, Major Dickason’s Blend epitomizes the rich, flavorful taste of Peet’s
- Brewing Methods: Our ground coffee is perfectly suited to make drip or a pour over in your Chemex. For other brewing methods – espresso, cold brew, or French press – consider our whole bean coffees and grinding at home
This dark-roasted coffee is named after one of Peet’s original roasters. It offers a bold and complex flavor profile, combining beans from various regions. As such, it presents notes of dark chocolate, caramel, and a subtle smoky flavor.
Primarily, Major Dickason’s Blend has become a favored choice among coffee enthusiasts. Whether brewed in a drip coffee maker, espresso machine, or French press, it promises a satisfying and robust cup of coffee every time.
All in all, such a blend continues to capture the essence of Peet’s commitment to quality and flavor.
- Offering a bold and complex flavor with notes of dark chocolate and subtle smokiness
- Delivers a reliable and high-quality coffee experience with each brew
- Suitable for various brewing methods, offering flexibility to coffee enthusiasts
- Can be a bit too oily and strong for some tastes
- Depending on location, availability may vary, limiting access for some consumers
- The cost of this brand may be higher compared to some mainstream options
- STONE COLD JO PROFESSIONAL CUPPING NOTES: SILKY SMOOTH | LOW ACIDITY | DARK ROAST | HINTS OF TOFFEE CARAMEL CHOCOLATE GRAPE | Descriptive flavor terms are naturally occurring undertones in the coffee and no flavors are added.
- Each batch of this fresh roasted organic coffee is hand-crafted, by artisan coffee roasters, in our micro-roastery.
Stone Cold Jo blend teases the palate with notes of toffee caramel, chocolate, and a hint of grape. Despite being a dark roast coffee, it’s gentle on acidity. This silky and chocolatey aroma is perfect for both hot and cold brew coffee.
Stone Cold Jo promises a premium taste, comprising 100% Arabica beans. With organic and kosher certifications, it adheres to stringent USDA standards. Consequently, you ensure a coffee free from chemical contaminants.
Furthermore, Stone Cold Jo is an esteemed member of the Roaster’s Guild and the Specialty Coffee Association. It exclusively sources from the top 2% of globally certified organic Arabica coffee.
While initially marketed for cold brew, it appeals to French press coffee enthusiasts.
- Ensures a smooth and light-on-the-stomach coffee experience with its low acidity
- Offers a premium blend free from chemical contaminants, emphasizing ethical and quality sourcing
- Accommodates diverse preferences, from hot cups brewed in a French press to refreshing cold brews
- Comes with a higher price tag, making it an investment for those seeking top-tier coffee
- May have a bitter flavor, making it less favorable to those who prefer milder profiles
Koffee Kult Coffee makes a rich brew that caters to aficionados of robust flavors. This dark roast is a harmonious blend of 100% Arabica beans. Crafted with precision, it offers a deep and complex profile.
Drinking it, expect dark chocolate, roasted nuts, and a subtle hint of citrus notes. Moreover, the coarse grind makes it ideal for the French press. That’s because it allows for the full extraction of flavors.
On the whole, Koffee Kult brings forth a coffee that’s both bold and smooth. That’s why it’s a favorite for those who appreciate a strong and flavorful cup.
- Bold and complex flavor
- 100% Arabica beans, ensuring a premium and high-quality coffee experience
- Perfect for French press brewing
- The intensity of Koffee Kult may be too robust for those who prefer milder coffee profiles
- May come at a higher price compared to the competition
- Please note, our coffee is mild with subtle flavors for a delightful, easy-drinking coffee
- A mild coffee with medium body, low acidity, smooth, sweet with pleasant fruit & cacao notes, consistent as coffee is never blended
- Medium roasted for subtle, pleasant flavor and coarsely ground for the slow brewing method of french press
This specialty blend captivates with its unique flavor profile. Sourced and roasted with precision, the coarse grind ensures optimal French press extraction. As a result, it guarantees a rich and full-bodied cup.
Primarily, Primos Coffee Co. prides itself on offering a coffee experience beyond the ordinary. With each batch carefully curated, the brand showcases a distinct flavor profile for extra boldness.
From the first sip, you’ll encounter notes that may include hints of chocolate, nuttiness, or even subtle fruit undertones. As such, it creates a memorable and refined coffee experience every day.
- A distinct flavor profile with various notes
- The company values transparency, which appeals to consumers who like to know the origin of their coffee beans
- It’s versatile enough for many brewing methods, allowing for flexibility in preparation
- Maybe a bit pricy compared to other brands
- The flavor profile may not align with everyone’s taste preferences
Criteria for Selection
Whether you use one of our selections or decide to go a different route, you’ll want to consider a few key factors when choosing the best coarse ground coffee for your French press. Here, we’ve broken everything down into simple points that may influence the final quality and brewing experience. Take a look:
A. Flavor Profile
The primary goal is to find a coarse ground coffee that aligns with your taste preferences. Whether you enjoy a bold and intense flavor or favor something smoother with subtle notes, each coffee has its unique flavor profile.
Look for descriptions on the packaging to identify flavors that appeal to your taste buds.
B. Origin and Roast Level
The type of coffee beans and their roast level can impact the final taste big time. Coffees from different regions or different countries (like Africa) exhibit distinct flavor profiles influenced by some factors. Such elements include the soil, climate, and altitude of the place of origin.
On top of that, the roast level also plays a role in determining the character of the coffee. As such, consider your preference for these features before choosing a coffee brand.
C. Coarseness Consistency
The grind consistency is crucial as well. This is especially true when it comes to coarse grounds. An uneven grind can result in an uneven extraction during brewing, affecting the final taste.
Look for products that emphasize a consistent coarse grind. That’s what guarantees a uniform and well-balanced extraction.
Freshness is vital to a delicious cup of coffee. Therefore, you need to check for information on when the coffee was roasted. Principally, fresh coffee beans contribute to a more vibrant and aromatic brew.
To ensure getting the best coffee experience possible, opt for products with clear labeling that shows the roast date.
The packaging doesn’t just serve the looks. It can significantly impact the freshness and longevity of your coffee. Your best options are those providing airtight and opaque packaging. That’s because such types protect the coffee from light and air, which can degrade its quality over time.
The Final Scoop
In the pursuit of the best coarse ground coffee for French press, our journey unveils a rich tapestry of flavors and craftsmanship.
From Kicking Horse’s adventurous “Grizzly Claw” to the timeless consistency of Peet’s Major Dickason’s Blend and the silky indulgence of Stone Cold Jo, each brand presents a unique personality.
Koffee Kult’s Dark Roast weaves a symphony of bold flavors, while Primos Coffee Co. captivates with a story of chocolatey, nutty, or subtly fruity undertones. This exploration reveals that coffee is an art, an invitation to savor every moment, one sip at a time.